Honors and Awards
Rewarding academic excellence in language studies.
Departmental Honors are conferred to students with a 3.5 GPA or higher in the language studied at Adelphi with a minimum of 18 credits in the language and with at least one 300-level course or one literature course.
Additional awards are presented to students who excel in specific language areas:
- Lucienne Petit Prize for Excellence in French
- Paul Langellier Award in French
- Ruth Richardson Award for Excellence in Spanish
- Delores Roethal Award in Spanish Literature
- Melvin and Marian Prottas Foreign Language Writing Award
- This award is open to all students, regardless of major or minor. Nine awards are given each year (a first, second and third place prize in each language: Italian, French or Spanish). Students submit poetry, short stories or essays in any of the three languages. A committee of departmental faculty judges the submissions. Currently the prizes are $100 for first place, $50 for second place, and $25 for third place.
Membership is usually by invitation only, limited to students who have demonstrated leadership, high general academic scholarship, and excellence in the study of Spanish, French, and Italian.
For specific requirements, contact the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
- French Honor Society: Pi Delta Phi
- Spanish Honor Society: Sigma Delta Pi
- Italian Honor Society: Gamma Kappa Alpha
- International Honor Society: Sigma Iota Rho